Sunday, April 26, 2009

How to spend my free time?



Ok, here's my current dilemma (a recurring one, so I'll post it):

If I have, let's say, 30 minutes of "free time", what should I do? I mean, how should I spend that free time?

The decision that appeals to me most is to figure it out thoughtfully. Evaluate how I've been spending my time over the past few months, and compare that to how I'd like to be spending my time. That means that I have to have activities grouped by my goals: Self-improvment, Family, etc.

It means that I would need to track *how I spend my free time*. Of course, it means more than that (like actually setting the goals).

Without a thoughtful approach, I find myself at the whim of "chance". I read half an article on arguments against abortion, I read the news about Somali pirates, I do a blog post on how to spend my free time.

I actually do use "remember the milk" (RTM) for my task list, and if I used the "tags" (categories) for goal groups, and if I were more disciplined about using it for free time, I think that would help me feel less concerned.

The piece that I'm still missing is an easy way to evaluate the balance of how I am spending time on my goals. Maybe the "completed tasks" on RTM would help (I could download into Excel)?

Well, the last time I tried to decide what to do, I ended up taking a nap. This time, I've simply run out of time, and I'm off to Croix' first communion.

2 comments:

beth said...

Let me know when you figure this free time thing out. I'm impressed that you actually have free time.
Beth

kieron said...

Luckily for me, there isn't much! How much "free time" would you say you have?