Friday, July 18, 2008

My Bro Gets his PhD. in September!



Here's the latest:

Dear Friends and Family,

I just realized that I failed to send out the latest and rather big news to everybody: I filed my dissertation. While the degree isn’t officially granted until the end of the term (September 12), everything is done, signed, filed, etc. It’s been a long time and I am so happy to have that weight off my shoulders.


Beyond that, this summer has turned out so well for me. I have had a great living situation here in Charleston, subletting in a couple of nice places and even getting one of them to myself. One of the professors here is letting me use her office while she’s gone for the summer. The Religious Studies department hired me on a no-pay contract that, while without salary, gives me access to internet, printing, library, and gym. I am doing yoga, going kayaking, riding a bike (comes with my solo sublet!), and just got out on the climbing wall yesterday. And here at the office I can prepare for the program in the fall in a much more thorough way than I could last year.

I will be in Charleston until August 10, then it’s off to Indiana to visit with family for two weeks, then off to New York for a training and a few days with Mom and Dad in the city. After that, at the beginning of September, I will fly out to Taiwan to do the program again. Very good times.


Alright, that’s the update. I hope you all are well.


Take care,


Kerry

No comments: