Sunday, June 01, 2008

Raffles of whiskey - always nice


I went to the Little Flower summerfest for about 45 minutes this afternoon (to have an elephant ear...but I also had a lemon shake-up and ice cream with strawberry shortcake...YUM).

What bothered me (and you probably knew this was coming) is that they were selling (and of course, swilling) beer ON THE CHURCH LAWN ON A SUNDAY. Please. I mean, in Indiana it is ILLEGAL to sell liquor in a grocery or liquor store on a Sunday, I think the bars have to close....

But it's fine to take your 6 year old by the hand, and with a statue of Mary looking on, buy a Bud Light (for $2...which is a nice profit margin). And of course, it's all about the profits.

Get real, folks...you're only selling beer for about four hours anyway on that Sunday (noon? to five...I guess I'm praying you don't start selling before noon). How about making it a family day on Sunday, and not selling alcohol for just that day? I'm not proposing anything brash, like not allowing children where you sell beer or cutting out all liquor sales (and raffles of whiskey - always nice - A TWOFER!) - I mean, that would just be going a little too far.

All I'm asking is for a few hours on a Sunday, bring your parish up to the moral standard of the rest of Indiana and refrain.

1 comment:

kieron said...

Of course, alcohol itself isn't immoral. And, strictly speaking, neither is drinking it.

It's getting drunk that is bad. I guess mostly because it impairs our ability to make good decisions (and is physically damaging).

What bothers me really is that the secular state has a higher standard than the Church on a "moral" issue.