Thursday, May 24, 2007

BEATEN PRACTICALLY TO DEATH

Courtney writes today:

I spent $67 to fill up my tank yesterday at $3.59. Last night, I dreamt that I found it for 2.89 a gallon and I was really excited! Then I woke up. I don’t normally dream about gas prices. In fact, that was a first for me.

I went on a 7 mile bike ride (my first) on the Pleasant Run Trail Tuesday. Despite the obscenity –yelling thugs and sickening smell of the gas plant, it was a nice ride. I might try the Monon next time.

Note that some guy was BEATEN PRACTICALLY TO DEATH (and not the first time) on the Monon awhile back, so I wouldn't be TOO keen on that idear.

Full text, for when that link breaks:

Victim can't recall near fatal Monon trail attack

Oct 13, 2006 09:48 AM

Darrell Arthur
Darrell Arthur
Arthur was beaten and left for dead at this site.
Arthur was beaten and left for dead at this site.
Arthur was attacked while riding on the Monon.
Arthur was attacked while riding on the Monon.




HEADLINES










Linsey Davis/Eyewitness News

Indianapolis - His head is stapled closed. His face still shows the wounds that left it bloodied and bruised. He also has broken bones. But it was Darrell Arthur who, despite his wounds, was feeling sorry for his attackers.

He spoke from his hospital bed. "I feel sorry for people who do things like this. I mean I help everybody who I possibly can."

In the name of help, Arthur took the time to give a hand to a little boy having bike trouble on the Monon Friday night. He then cut grass for a friend of his. On his way back home, the help that Darrell is known for giving he so desperately needed himself.

"I kept saying to myself 'I'll be home in ten minutes' and then, at that point, I don't remember what happened."

Darrell says the last thing he remembers is riding his bike along a stretch of the Monon near 33rd Street and Sutherland Avenue, but then his ride abruptly stopped. Police say he was then beaten, robbed and left for dead.

He continued his story. "Apparently they tried to hide me so the Police Department wouldn't find me. There were baskets and buckets and an oil stained cloth and I was down underneath all the stuff."

No more space remains along the window sill in Darrell's hospital room. It's now crowded with flowers from some of the people Darrell's helped. The attached cards come from both from the Damien Center, which he helped to start, and Lawrence Central, where he worked in the Special Ed department. Now it's Darrell who's asking for help.

"I hope people are able to help you find out what happened to me. Because I don't know what happened to me and I think that's what makes it so scary."

Darrell is now in fair condition at Methodist Hospital. Fortunately, someone passing by saw him alongside the trail and called for help. Yet, at this time, no witnesses to the attack have come forward. If you have any information about this case, call Crimestoppers at 262-TIPS.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This incident happened at night- who rides the Mono at night??? Not this dude anymore!
I agree with Court- back there by English Ave- did NOT care for the course at all becuase of the thugs. It really brings me down on society in general, coupled with the recent crime wave. My mom and I are considering moving to Pismo Beach, if we can get jobs for all of us. Get your resume together Kieron!